Andico

Opinions On Ibanez GRG170DX

Hey everyone,
I hope you’re all doing well! I’m in the market for my first electric guitar, and I’ve come across a ton of brands and models. I’m really into metal and rock, and I’ve been looking at the Ibanez GRG170DX. It seems to have most of the features I want, but I’m a bit worried about how well it stays in tune.
Could you Please advise if this guitar is good option for me.
Since I’m also trying to stick to a budget, there aren’t many options out there. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I’d really appreciate it!

thanks.

1 hour ago, Andico said:

... I’m in the market for my first electric guitar ...

Good afternoon, Andico...

Unless it's going to be a feature of your playing, I don't think I'd advise any guitar in this price range with a vibrato ('whammy bar'...). The good guitars get away with it, once up in the 'pro' league, and with a tame technician to match, but, in my opinion, they're an unnecessary source of trouble, especially when learning, in almost any style. If you really need it, go ahead, but I'd advise looking at other models without this accessory that have the features you want. No guitar in this range will have an inherent 'staying in tune' problem, whatever the make; Ibanez have an excellent reputation, but so have many others. Your call, naturally, but holding its tune should never be an issue, especially for one's first guitar.

Disclaimer : I've never had a use for a vibrato of any kind, as 'dive-bombing' is not an effect I affection in my playing. If I had to have that effect, I'd do as our son, Our Eldest, does, and use a detune pedal (think the dying notes of 'Karma Police'...).
Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Good afternoon, Andico...

Unless it's going to be a feature of your playing, I don't think I'd advise any guitar in this price range with a vibrato ('whammy bar'...). The good guitars get away with it, once up in the 'pro' league, and with a tame technician to match, but, in my opinion, they're an unnecessary source of trouble, especially when learning, in almost any style. If you really need it, go ahead, but I'd advise looking at other models without this accessory that have the features you want. No guitar in this range will have an inherent 'staying in tune' problem, whatever the make; Ibanez have an excellent reputation, but so have many others. Your call, naturally, but holding its tune should never be an issue, especially for one's first guitar.

Disclaimer : I've never had a use for a vibrato of any kind, as 'dive-bombing' is not an effect I affection in my playing. If I had to have that effect, I'd do as our son, Our Eldest, does, and use a detune pedal (think the dying notes of 'Karma Police'...).
Hope this helps. rWNVV2D.gif

Thanks so much for your information.

Got it, so could you suggest best affordable guitars without the whammy bar that is the best for both learners and metal genre?

I'd appreciate your suggestions

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Andico said:

... best affordable guitars without the whammy bar that is the best for both learners and metal genre? ...

I'm not sure that there are any guitars that are excluded from playing 'metal', but if I take that to mean roughly Strat-shape, with a pointy headstock, I'd start by looking at the Thomann B-stock offers. 'B-stock' means that someone ordered one, then sent it back, normally, but they are perfectly sound, and carry the same guarantee as others. It's a way of getting a bit off the price. Here's a link to some I'd suggest fall into your criteria (between £200-£300...)...

Thomann 'Bargain' ST-type guitars, with no vibrato, UK prices ...

Feel free to play around with the filters on the left, to see what else is on offer. There's nothing wrong with Tele-style, Les Paul-style, SG-style etc guitars either for metal (maybe avoid archtop though, as a beginner...).

All of these guitars hold their tuning, and can be used in any style, including metal, of course. There are many other suppliers than Thomann, but this is an easy way to see and compare what's on the market, from the comfort of one's own home. Nothing beats trying out various instruments at a music shop, once one has an initial idea of what to try out.

My personal choice would be a Squire Affinity Tele Deluxe (I prefer humbuckers...), like this one ...

Thomann Squire Affinity Deluxe ...

... or this one ...

Thomann Harley Benton Fusion T-HH ...

Spoilt for choice, now, eh..? B|

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm not sure that there are any guitars that are excluded from playing 'metal', but if I take that to mean roughly Strat-shape, with a pointy headstock, I'd start by looking at the Thomann B-stock offers. 'B-stock' means that someone ordered one, then sent it back, normally, but they are perfectly sound, and carry the same guarantee as others. It's a way of getting a bit off the price. Here's a link to some I'd suggest fall into your criteria (between £200-£300...)...

Thomann 'Bargain' ST-type guitars, with no vibrato, UK prices ...

Feel free to play around with the filters on the left, to see what else is on offer. There's nothing wrong with Tele-style, Les Paul-style, SG-style etc guitars either for metal (maybe avoid archtop though, as a beginner...).

All of these guitars hold their tuning, and can be used in any style, including metal, of course. There are many other suppliers than Thomann, but this is an easy way to see and compare what's on the market, from the comfort of one's own home. Nothing beats trying out various instruments at a music shop, once one has an initial idea of what to try out.

My personal choice would be a Squire Affinity Tele Deluxe (I prefer humbuckers...), like this one ...

Thomann Squire Affinity Deluxe ...

... or this one ...

Thomann Harley Benton Fusion T-HH ...

Spoilt for choice, now, eh..? B|

Yeahh thanks man appreciate it.

U gave me lots of advices 

• Thanks 1

I have been known to play hard rock and metal in the past and I agree with @Dad3353. Unless whammy use is something that you may want to make use of, then just stay away at first, they cause so many issues that even annoy experienced players.  If you like the Ibanez superstrat shape then the Ibanez RGA 421 would possibly be a good option within that price range as it is similar but without the tremolo.

https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/ibanez-rg421-electric-guitar-mahogany-oil-b-stock-p8845/s8845?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ibanez-rg421-mol-electric-guitar-mahogany-oil-b-stock-183159&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw99e4BhDiARIsAISE7P9gOqAVfljXQw7RBuhADRJHV2_Q7jF0lkqQPX-lgh1B1dKpjYUq07AaAn6fEALw_wcB

Otherwise any of the twin humbucker models like the Ibanez ART series, lots of the Cort, Harley Benton, Washburn, Squier, Epiphone models would suit. As @Dad3353 says, there should be no tuning problems with almost any modern guitar once set up properly (the shop might do this for you as part of their service, but otherwise budget another £40 or so for new strings and set up)

For a more modern take on the telecaster, this would suit too.

https://www.musicstore.com/en_GB/GBP/Squier-FSR-Affinity-Tele-HH-LRL-MOR-Metallic-Orange/art-GIT0058582-000?campaign=GShopping/GB&ProgramUUID=zDcKAQMERIYAAAGRngJqQrxk&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw99e4BhDiARIsAISE7P-0ydnBPY0IqtgOgZ7EPYnn11FNqXtrvm3Wr4uG_c-L6dbs_gRzEWcaAoPGEALw_wcB