fourth

Is my playing technique a problem?

Hello, everyone.

I've been playing guitar for about four months and recently got myself an Ibanez GRG121DX-BKF guitar and an audio interface.
When I play the same note quickly on any string, I hear a strange “squeaking” noise. Could you tell me if this is a problem with my playing technique or the guitar? How can I get rid of it? I'll attach an audio file for a clearer understanding.
Thank you in advance for your help.

In fact, I just found out that this happens not only when I play one note fast, but during the whole guitar playing. But it doesn't happen all the time, it happens periodically. As I understand it, it happens when I touch the string with the pick. But sometimes this sound appears, and sometimes not. I cannot understand what it depends on. 

3 minutes ago, fourth said:

...Thank you in advance for your help...

What you're hearing there is a harmonic, which is pretty much inevitable when playing at high gain, and is often even desirable in many styles. Try playing at different spots with the pick; that will probably change the note (the 'squeaking'...); choose the position that sounds best to you. It can be eliminated by playing without such high gain, but then you'd have no need of a pointy guitar..! xD
Hope this helps.

Yep, sounds like a partially pinched harmonic to me. You may find that part of the thumb or finger, holding the pick, are choking off the note and creating a false/pinched harmonic. This can be used to good effect, if you want it and that’s your thing, Billy Gibbons and Zakk Wylde are noted exponents of the technique.

Edited by ezbass
  • Thanks 1