knirirr

LP copy tailpiece bolt loose

This looks like a bit of a nuisance - the tailpiece is coming out on the low-E side.

Perhaps my choice of rather heavy string is responsible, or could the angle across the bridge be too steep?
Anyway, as far as I can tell the solution is to do the following:

1. Take off the strings and tailpiece.

2. Remove the offending bolt.

3. Put wood glue around the inside of the hole.

4. Hammer the bolt back in (perhaps with a toothpick as a shim) and make sure it's lined up properly.

5. Reverse step 1.

I've not tried anything like this before but it's a cheap guitar so I ought to try myself. Is there anything I ought to watch out for?

PXL_20240812_155129449.jpg

36 minutes ago, knirirr said:

This looks like a bit of a nuisance - the tailpiece is coming out on the low-E side...

I would also suggest getting the advice of a good luthier (as posted above...). I wouldn't expect even a very heavy set of strings to have this effect; I imagine that it's rather due to a bad implementation of the design in a cheap guitar. I wouldn't try to 'bodge' it (at least until there's been a competent person to see it...), and would certainly affirm that wood glue is not the answer; that will do nothing, on its own, to help things here. Let's see if a more experienced eye can suggest a remedy, hoping that it's simpler than I fear. It's not looking good. :(

Edited by Dad3353

21 minutes ago, knirirr said:

If it really is bad then perhaps a warranty claim might be in order.

But, I'd rather fix it if I can.

If this guitar is still under guarantee, I'd not hesitate a second in returning it. It's, in that case, quite clearly a manufacturing failure, and I wouldn't trust it to be the only one if this was bought new recently. Just my opinion, of course. Messing about with it yourself will, naturally, void any warranty it may have, so choose what to do wisely, but quickly. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hmmm...

Thomann suggested that I try "...gluing 3-4 thin veneer strips to the bushing of the bridge stud using superglue..." or sending it back to them, I hope to not merely try the same.

3 hours ago, knirirr said:

Hmmm...

Thomann suggested that I try "...gluing 3-4 thin veneer strips to the bushing of the bridge stud using superglue..." or sending it back to them, I hope to not merely try the same.

Hopefully, with a sizeable discount if you go for the repair.

I think I'd prefer to have a refund and buy something else better made and able to handle heavy strings.

A shame, as other than this (and the truss rod which slid out when I was adjusting it) this guitar sounds and feels very good.

7 minutes ago, knirirr said:

I think I'd prefer to have a refund and buy something else better made and able to handle heavy strings.

A shame, as other than this (and the truss rod which slid out when I was adjusting it) this guitar sounds and feels very good.

From following this mini-saga, it's clear to me that this is a case for refund, and choice of another guitar, which, whilst still 'sounding and feeling good', will not fall apart in your hands whilst still under guarantee. All ordinarily-made guitars can withstand heavy strings (Our Eldest has been using light top, heavy bottom on all of his guitars, with never an issue...). Of course if you're fitting bass strings to it (they may be too long, so not worth trying..!), you'd be better off with a bass. If you just want a lower tone, with thick strings, get a baritone guitar. No guitar should have truss-rod problems, nor  bridges pulling out. Get your refund and invest in another. B| 

• Like 1

Just now, knirirr said:

These are the strings:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/pyramid-gold-13-56-pure-nickel-flatwound-guitar-strings-true-vintage-gauge

They shouldn't cause any issues on any decent guitar, I think.

These strings I would expect to find on an archtop 'jazz-box' type guitar, with a 'trapeze'-type tailpiece or similar. They would, though, work on any electric guitar, such as a Les Paul or similar. They are heavy, compared to modern players notions, but would have been standard issue on any guitar bought on the '50s or '60s, and cause no problems at all. They are certainly not the cause of failure of your guitar. I suppose you have a reason for wanting strings like these..? Are you aiming for a 'George Benson', 'vamping' sound..? :/

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

These strings I would expect to find on an archtop 'jazz-box' type guitar, with a 'trapeze'-type tailpiece or similar. They would, though, work on any electric guitar, such as a Les Paul or similar. They are heavy, compared to modern players notions, but would have been standard issue on any guitar bought on the '50s or '60s, and cause no problems at all. They are certainly not the cause of failure of your guitar. I suppose you have a reason for wanting strings like these..? Are you aiming for a 'George Benson', 'vamping' sound..? :/

My reasons for having them are that I like the tone (I mostly play jazz) and find them comfortable to play - as you say, I'd not have expected them to cause any issues on a guitar based on a design from that era.

27 minutes ago, knirirr said:

My reasons for having them are that I like the tone (I mostly play jazz) and find them comfortable to play - as you say, I'd not have expected them to cause any issues on a guitar based on a design from that era.

They are exactly the strings you need, then. Now to obtain the guitar to match..! B|

• Like 1

2 hours ago, knirirr said:

Well, I have obtained an RMA.
Now I just need a box, unfortunately having thrown mine out before this guitar broke.

Any cycle shops (Halfords or the like..?) near you..? They usually throw out/give away suitable packaging for instruments. B|

Or buy a hard case for the guitar, and use the box that that's delivered in..? -_-