ciderman

My old Strat

After starting off with a Jedson single pickup Tele shape thing,I borrowed £200 from my Dad and went into the Rhythm House in Stockport to buy a Jedson natural Les Paul copy .... and went home with a Strat !!
I was told it was made in 1958 and had been completely stripped down to the bare wood.The fretboard looked like it'd been played non-stop since the day it was made and the frets were like flat needles.
The bridge was terrible and looked as if the trem arm had been overly tightened,sawn off with an angle grinder and the hole rebored larger.
None of this bothered me,it was a Fender and none of my mates had one.
When I started buying other guitars it got retired in it's case where it stayed for 30 years.
When I got the internet I found out that my '58 had a '63 neck,the body, pickguard, electrics  and serial number on the neckplate were '64 and the head decal was a 1975 !!.
I decided (rather reluctantly) to sell it 12 years ago and it was snapped up by a taxi driver who drove his black cab from Kent to Manchester.He was a collector and didn't play and spent as much sourcing original parts and putting it back to it's former glory as he paid for it.

• Like 1