fingers1

Easy theory question

2 minutes ago, fingers1 said:

To determine 1 4 5 chords of a blues in G should I use the 1 4 5 degrees of the G major scale

Yes. The '1' is 'G' (obviously..?), the '4' is 'C', the '5' is 'D'. This same reasoning is used for all keys; simply counting up from the root note of the scale in question. It works for minor scales in the same way.

Beware of the trap, using this simple system, when working out chords, as the '7' for a G7 chord is the 7, flattened (so 'F', and not 'F#'...). This is for convention reasons, rather than pure logic or maths; the G7 chord is not, strictly speaking, in the key of 'G', but is from the key of 'D', and is referred to as a Dominant 7th, leading the ear back to the key of 'G'.

Just sayin'. B| 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, fingers1 said:

Thanks for that. When would you choose a minor scale?

The notion of Major or minor would be a function of the composition, and not really a choice made by the Player. It's possible to play minor scales over a piece composed as Major, but that would be a specific musical choice. Why the question..? What is it that you're wanting to play..? A piece you've composed, or a well-known song..? Your question seems odd to me.  :/

12 minutes ago, fingers1 said:

Does it matter that the song is a blues in G?

Again, an odd question, to me. You'll be using the chords G, C and D7 quite a lot; the remark concerning the 'D7' is appropriate here, the '7th' concerned being 'C', not 'C#". Have a look at this tutorial video for some ideas, maybe..?

14 minutes ago, fingers1 said:

Guthrie trapp - playing over 1-4-5 chord changes, trying to understand it.

I'm looking at it now, and I'm having trouble following along. I've been playing guitar for well over a half-century. Maybe it's not you, but the video that's not too clear..? I'd suggest looking at a few other tutors do it, and come back to this one now and again. The penny will drop, but not by crushing your head against his lack of clarity. It's Good Stuff, but not well presented, and especially not for novices. B|

Edited by Dad3353

1 hour ago, fingers1 said:

Is the difference between G Major 1-4-5 progression and the G Blues 1-4-5 progression, the use of 7th chords and pentatonic blues notes when soloing?

Essentially, yes. B|

• Thanks 1

I had a stroke 10+ years ago and I'm relearning this, this site and your help has been really helpful.

It's not all bad though, second time round and my understanding is much more thorough.

Cheers

• Thanks 1