PaulThePlug

Micro Tonal Stratocaster

Son(16) is a fan of King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.

Cheap Squier Bullet Strat from Cash Converters and a Most-Marvelous Inter-Fret Job by @Andyjr1515 fella who sits (slumps!) at the bar in the BassChat Arms...

(Blah! Blah! and Pics in a BassChat Tech&Repair post)

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/496955-microtonal-fretting-microwhat-but-sorry-not-on-a-bass/?do=findComment&comment=5264843

When 12TET and 20 or so frets just arn't enough... go 24TET and over 40 frets to play with!

20240618_133039.thumb.jpg.cd9a416a959b9eb467cda9afe994b985.jpg

20240618_133003.thumb.jpg.2790936fba25659c23b09b41f7a48a8d.jpg20240618_133133.thumb.jpg.b45355f14fe00dc685d2086f8eca7076.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Confuses me just to look at it !!!

Very impressive indeed.

Is it actually possible to get fingers in and play in any of the higher positions? Are the extra frets just between between the normal ones?

Genuine questions as I haven't seen one before and very curious.

I assume it creates opportunities to play between 'standard' intervals like you would on a fretless.

Posted (edited)

Yes you play the higher frets, the finger pad can squash enough behind the fret.

Frets are not quite exactly in the middle - using the magic number / scala ratio, the front half is fractional smaller, like deriving standard fret positions, but, close enough for Jazz half way.

The extra positions along with different tunings lend for a turkish Baglama and eastern vibe, together with some odd timings can take your western ears far away

Check out KGLW Flying Microtonal Banana album

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Yes you play the higher frets, the finger pad can squash enough behind the fret.

Frets are not quite exactly in the middle - using the magic number / scala ratio, the front half is fractional smaller, like deriving standard fret positions, but, close enough for Jazz half way.

The extra positions along with different tunings lend for a turkish Baglama and eastern vibe, together with some odd timings can take your western ears far away

Check out KGLW Flying Microtonal Banana album

That sounds good.

In that case, is there any benefit to this as opposed a fretless guitar? Is it better for tuning and accuracy (or is too early for your son to tell as yet)?

I really struggled with fretless bass but strangely ok with upright bass so not sure it would be for me!!

• Like 1

Bit early to tell... i think its the tone and fretted ring that would suit the higher freq of guitar or the mimic of other fretted instruments. Son has a fretless bass that he has got his ear in.

• Like 1

Had a listen to the Flying Microtonal banana album. Really good and interesting. Almost sounds to me like 2 guitars out of tune with each other harmonising together in a meaningful way. Plays with your mind at times with the Eastern sounds coming out of a regular rock environment. The drums are great on this too.

Like it a lot. Highly recommended.

• Like 1