randythoades

What to do? Moral dilemma

This is a bit of a tongue in cheek question asking for sensitive suggestions.

I have 'inherited' an Aria Pro ii FA65 hollow body guitar (similar to the Epiphone Joe Pass) from a good friend. The gentleman in question is moving to a smaller house and giving away some of his collection and he knows that I have a real love and affinity for Aria guitars and basses.

Similar to qckykulqgnin7a9hlxmb.jpg

Whilst I am very touched and flattered, it isn't the sort of guitar that I would normally use, even though it is perfect for and sounds great for 50s rock and roll/rockabilly which I play a lot - but on a tele. It feels like a quality guitar all round, the build quality is excellent, good tuners, solid bridge.
BUT: This guitar is just too big, too bulky, too heavy for me to play standing up and I just don't think I will play it! I don't generally like Gibson setups of 2 pickups and 2 sets of controls, I find the controls annoying and my hand never seems to fall naturally between the pickups, it is either over one or the other and keeps getting in the way. In this case the bridge pickup is spiky and wiry, ideal for the slightly dirty raw rockabilly that I play, but the neck pickup is too muddy and dull for me - probably perfect for jazz comping which isn't really my bag. The controls are a little bit crackly, so need cleaning, and there are a couple of little hardware rattles from the switch and pickup surrounds when playing acoustically which is probably very common to a hollow guitar - you don't notice when at decent amp volume but I am not likely to do this, I would just prefer to play my esquire or LP junior.

So I am trying to think of options of what to do:

SELL IT... I could just ignore it's providence and sell it and get something else. It is a perfectly good guitar for someone that wants this style. But I feel very guilty for considering this ...

REWIRE IT... I could spend the considerable effort to remove and clean the controls and re-install or replace the pickups and all the wiring loom but this is time consuming and quite costly. In fact I don't know how I would go about completely re-wiring this myself. I could just remove the bridge pickup, switch and wiring loom and go for a Pat Metheny kind of vibe by replacing neck pickup and one set of controls, which would be an easier option wiring wise..

CHANGE IT UP...Remove the pickups and wiring loom and put on a floating pickup and controls on the pickguard which would be relatively easy and be easily reversible. I could then use it when seated in place of my electro acoustic when playing at the clean blues/country improvised jams that I often seem to attend. Like this models sister in the range, the Aria FA71. But possibly would want to cover up the resultant holes in the top with wood effect sticky vinyl or a thin wood veneer.

s-l1200.webp

LEAVE IT... Or I just leave it as is and make the best of it, probably completely unloved and unplayed in it's case. This is the most like option as it requires no additional expense or thought, but also carries similar guilt to the selling it option.

So it is more like a small poll. What would you do? 🙂

Edited by randythoades

(Tongue in cheek, mostly...)...

When you're next in France, bring it here; it's exactly the style of guitar that I affection (I have archtop Hofners and Samicks, guitars and basses; an Aria wouldn't go amiss...). It would get played..!
On a more serious note, adding a floating p/u would be maybe the 'least-worst' option, and reversible to boot. Re-wiring with different p/u's etc would be a real waste, I'd say, both of the guitar and any money spent on parts swapped in. Storage..? Hmm... Who knows what your style may evolve to in the coming decades..? A bit of a long shot, though.

No, I think the best thing would be to give/sell it to someone who will appreciate it for its intrinsic qualities, and even its provenance. How to find such a person..? Hmm... A tricky one. When are you next in France..? -_-

xD :P

• Like 1

What about selling it and buying a nice gift for the donor, or explain to him that you aren't getting on with it and ask if he would mind you selling it. You could offer him all or some of the money minus any expenses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is precedent for removing the bridge pickup and associated electronics, both Pat Metheny and Tuck Andress did/do this. Try it and, if it's still not right, put it back as was and move it on for something that you get along with.

• Like 2

Thanks for these comments, much appreciated!

Kind of goes with my own thinking. Decided to price up a complete pickup and re-wiring swap out last night and I don't think the guitar is worth it overall and/or I don't think it will make enough of a difference. I had a long play on it last night and I am getting more used to it, but playing the same way as I would on the acoustic. I couldn't get that big fat rich jazz tone that I hear on records but I assume that it a lot to do with playing style as much as anything.

I will have a look on popular auction site and see if I can find a neck PAF like pickup at reasonable cost and do the Pat Metheny thing.

Initially I could remove the bridge pickup and just bypass controls and go straight to the jack and do controls on the amp. If I prefer it I could then go to the effort of rewiring as appropriate. If I can then remove the whole wiring loom complete I should be able to re-instate it further down the line. If nothing else I can clean the pots with electrical cleaner to take away the odd crackles at that stage.

If that doesn't help I think that selling it might be the better option and agree with @Crusoe that a nice gift with the money would be a good touch (an experience rather than a thing, otherwise that is something else to find space for in a smaller home). It is a very nice guitar and I do really want to love it and play it. Although I am not very sentimental about 'things', I do think a guitar needs the right person and perhaps it just isn't the right one for me.

Thanks all and have a good day

• Like 1

Just as an update after pricing up the different options.

I have decided to just leave it alone and not improve (butcher) a nice guitar just for the sake of it. I will clean the pots and sell it as is to let someone else enjoy it. I will buy a gift for my benefactor and get another guitar with the money, which will then hold a more emotional attachment and something I would actually play.

Maybe I will go looking for a new acoustic or even a tele with humbuckers (heresy)... who knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

A Thinline Tele Deluxe is a fine beast indeed. Well worth considering, I'd say. rWNVV2D.gif

I agree with this statement. Plus, there are a whole host of differently voiced humbucker replacements out there, maybe more than single coil options.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

A Thinline Tele Deluxe is a fine beast indeed. Well worth considering, I'd say. rWNVV2D.gif

Never tried one but I do really like the look, particularly a thinline. As well as 'other' brand versions, particularly the G&L ASAT deluxe.

Depends what I get for the Aria and how much I have available to add in at the time. A nice afternoon trying out guitars is always a pleasure.

Edited by randythoades
  • Thanks 1