Alex_Rivo

How am I doing in terms of progress?

Question

Hi everyone :)

I’ve been playing for almost 1.5 year (self-taught) and I often feel “behind” in terms of progress.

I’m more into rhythm guitar, and so far I’ve learned basic open chords, power and bar chords (E shape, A shape, minor, major7, min7 and Dom7) sus chords as well.

I also know some basic fingerpicking and palm muting to add dynamics.
Lead-wise I only play some easy riffs and major and minor pentatonic. 

How am I doing honestly and what should I tackle next?

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

It's hard for us to say how well you are doing without hearing you play. You might know all those chords but struggle to put them together. How do you feel you are doing? Do you play along with songs or backing tracks? Have you considered playing with other people?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alex_Rivo said:

... How am I doing honestly and what should I tackle next?

I'd suggest that the best answer for this question would come from a decent guitar tutor near you..? It needn't be a long set of lessons, just one or two, so not expensive, but it would set you on the best path for your objectives, give advice as to any corrections to faults creeping in, and prevent any more long-term issues from a physical health standpoint. We can't see your location, but there is probably someone near you that could be recommended by a Member here. Worth considering..? rWNVV2D.gif

• Like 1

On 07/06/2024 at 12:33, Alex_Rivo said:

Hi everyone :)

I’ve been playing for almost 1.5 year (self-taught) and I often feel “behind” in terms of progress.

I’m more into rhythm guitar, and so far I’ve learned basic open chords, power and bar chords (E shape, A shape, minor, major7, min7 and Dom7) sus chords as well.

I also know some basic fingerpicking and palm muting to add dynamics.
Lead-wise I only play some easy riffs and major and minor pentatonic. 

How am I doing honestly and what should I tackle next?

That's a lot more chords than I ever use. And I only play major and minor pentatonics. Kept me going for almost 40 years of playing. That is plenty to get you up and running in a pub band playing blues, rock and pop.

As other comments indicate, knowing the chords and putting them together in a meaningful way in a band context is a different concept. As @Dad3353 says, a local guitar tutor will help with preventing some bad habits and getting you on in terms of progress. But playing in a band environment was the best experience for my own progress, playing things outside your normal comfort zone