Car1

Chad Underwood T-model

Alright all?

First post here, but thought I would add some info in relation to Chad Underwood guitars.

Just bought a T-model in an auction. Couldn't find much online before I bid, apart from a couple of vids and the knowledge that Walter Becker, John Fogerty and even Paul Reed Smith play them.

Almost all reviews I read said he was an incredibly underrated and unknown luthier, but the common theme was a boutique builder that was a level above. Convinced!

It arrived yesterday and it is jaw dropping.

It is light as a feather, but the sustain is off the charts. It just rings. Like hitting a piano note. Unplugged, its as clear as a bell and just hums beautifully. Not sure what the pups are, but I did read he winds his own, and underwinds them for that vintage feel. The range is incredible. Spanky on the bridge through to smooth, glassy clarity in the middle, to a mellow jazzy tone on the neck. It snarls with overdrive too.

Neck is a D shape near the headstock and it thins down to a C shape further up the neck.

Anyway. I am bowled over, and wanted to share some first hand info with the commune! 

Added some pics below.

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0503.jpeg

• Like 1

Headstock reminds me of another brand that used to do spins on the Fender style - James Taylor? Something like that? This looks nice. Have the vibe of a middle / late 60s piece. Interesting idea to have a compound radius board on something so otherwise retro looking.... Though I suspect that sort of thing wasn't so unusual in practice in the days when all necks were finished by hand? Looks like it'll be a blast to play. Enjoy! 

2 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

Headstock reminds me of another brand that used to do spins on the Fender style - James Taylor?

Tyler, if I’m thinking of the same one as you. 
image.thumb.jpeg.7abde489c523becbf07cb57ba0cc6c74.jpeg

image.gif.afeb5cb44dff9031eec86c3db1542381.gif @Car1

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Tyler, if I’m thinking of the same one as you. 
image.thumb.jpeg.7abde489c523becbf07cb57ba0cc6c74.jpeg

image.gif.afeb5cb44dff9031eec86c3db1542381.gif @Car1

YES! That's exactly the one! Thanks, that was driving me daft. Could see the logo, just not remember the spelling.... like not having me mental reading glasses on.... ;) 

Funnily enough, I always thought the Tyler headstock shape wasn't bad, but that it would look much better without what was a very 80s looking logo to my eyes. Subjective aesthetic preferences are subjective, of course, but the guitar in the OP shows to my mind how much nicer a very similar shape looks with a different approach the labelling. 

2 hours ago, EdwardMarlowe said:

it would look much better without what was a very 80s looking logo

It over emphasises the shape IMO. It's perfectly reasonable shape, as seen in the OP, before the logo is added, afterwards... not so much.

• Like 1